Our Dad - John Hobson Howard Sr

John Hobson "Hop" Howard

 

Born June 23, 1921 in Goshen Alabama. I don't know much about my dad's early life. He grew up in Goshen. In his youth he enjoyed hunting and fishing. He and his friends used to head to the woods and river after school and on the weekends. Dad did relate a story about traveling with Uncle Howard Frank and Aunt Lillis. They traveled in a car from the south up the eastern seaboard to New Jersey and New York. When dad spoke about this trip it seemed to bring happy memories!

A Purple Heart recipient, Dad had returned from World War II with injuries from a buzz bomb exploding near him in England. Dad never talked about his experiences in the war much, so there is little known specifically about his time overseas. 

John Hobson Howard, known by most as “Hop”, age 89, slipped into Paradise peacefully at his home with all his children by his side on Tuesday, November 9, 2010. He was born June 23, 1921 in Goshen, Alabama to Harry and Estelle Howard. Dad had been a resident of the New Harmony Community for the past 34 years. He was Baptist by faith and a member of the New Harmony Baptist Church. He was a veteran of WWII, serving his country in the United States Army Air Corps, receiving a Purple Heart for wounds received in action. Dad began his career after the war as a manager of his uncle’s store. He worked for a while as a road grader operator and then turned to farming. He and his family moved to Fort Walton Beach where he turned to carpentry as a trade. He worked the next 36 years as a Master Carpenter. He could never be idle, so in his leisure times he enjoyed fishing, hunting, gardening and growing Day Lilies. He never met a plant he didn’t like. Dad is reunited in paradise with his parents – Harry and Estelle Howard, his wife Bula “Polly” Howard, brothers Red and Paul Howard, and sister Jeanette Howard. Dad is loved and remembered by his three sons John Howard II and wife Carol of DeFuniak Springs, Florida, Andy Howard and wife Marilyn and Frank Howard all of New Harmony; two daughters Barbara Bridges and husband John of Carthage, Texas and Susie Fleming and husband Mike of New Harmony; 12 grandchildren Ann Bridges, Kelly Page, Sandy Fagg and husband Travis, Lester Johnson and wife Kim, John Howard III and wife Brandi, Jo Howard , Dan Alan Sinema II and wife Aimee, Kyrsten Sinema, Julie Sinema, Molly, Tug, and Russell; 10 great grandchildren Dallas, Holly, Brianna, Alex, Lindsay, Kristin, Riley, Kaylee, Lilly and Brynlie; one great great granddaughter Andie Davis, also remembered by numerous nieces and nephews, and by three special cousins, Mary Frances Berry of Troy, Jean Neal of Chipley and Britt Howard of Montgomery.

 

Memories of Dad, Grandpa (Papa) or Uncle Hop are:

 

From Dan:

 

Many of my memories of Grandpa are going fishing, I can remember riding in his truck to go to a pond to fish. It always seemed like he would go off and then come back with "big" fish. Maybe, that is because we were small back then, but looking at the fish we were catching, he was catching "big" fish. The other memory I have of Grandpa is him driving his red tractor, in fact when he is mentioned in conversation I just always picture him in my mind on the red tractor in the field. But, the one thing I remember and will miss the most is his laugh. It was not loud or boisterous, but it was an infectious one that when he laughed or chuckled you could not help but do the same.

 

Daddy, the Man We Knew. (Susie, Barbara and Frank)

 

Whenever I smell the scent of sawdust and paint, I can’t help but to think of my daddy. When he would come home from work he would always have that little haze in his eyebrows where the sawdust hung on and the fragrance of fresh sawn lumber lingered on his clothes.

That’s a memory that stays with me today. It was almost better than his aftershave.

 

My daddy was a gardener and loved to help each of us with our flowerbeds. I think of when he came to our house in Texas and would always insist on “helping me” rework the beds. He would always send me back in the house telling me “ . . .It’s too hot out here for you!” But it wasn’t too hot for him.  He just loved to be able to help each of us, leaving a part of himself behind.

 

Many years ago, in a galaxy far, far away, there were aliens headed to FT Walton BCH, FL. just to scare the bejebbers out of Me.  Or so, that’s what my two older brothers wanted me to believe!! I was so afraid to walk in my bedroom at night with the curtains open, Daddy would have to walk me to bed and read to me until I calmed down. He told me that I could read my comic books and when I was through to just lay my book over my face & the Martians would never see me!!

 

I remember when me and dad used to go bird hunting together, and he could unload the gun quicker than I could put my shell in. We would come back with more birds than we expected to have. I would remember him calling to the dogs, to slow down, “whoa” “look for them boy” “careful”. When he would get tired of calling to the dogs, he would turn to me and ask me to take over and I would say, “careful there Rowdy”. He would listen to me and dad would say, “He listens to you. He must be your dog.”

 

One time we went duck hunting and there we these ducks that started over head. He said, there’s a duck flying over your head. Wait till he gets passed you. But I was gun happy and I shot right above my head and the duck helicoptered right down on to me.

 

I remember when I did something wrong, Dad would always say I told you not to do that. He would always correct me but never spank me.

 

He was a great outdoorsman. I looked up to him a lot.

 

I think about the time daddy wanted to teach me to back the tractor up. He showed me how to put in reverse & then slowly back up to hook up the disk. That was special to me.

 

From John

 

The first time I remember seeing my Dad, I was little sitting on the bed with my sister Barbara.  It was a cold winter day; my dad was sitting at the table cutting open a can to put over a hole in the floor to stop the wind from coming in.  The house was old, no paint on the walls inside, but a fire in the fireplace.  Not a complaint or a cross word for the task he was doing, but to do it out of love for his family.  We were rich for the love my father always had in his heart for us.

 

His life was full of happiness, contentment and always an open mind to listen and a helping hand for anyone who is needed it.

 

The last time I saw my Dad he was laying at his home in the hospital bed, with all his dignity.  No complaints, no cross words for his fate, but love in his heart for his family.  He went to the other side peacefully to be with his wife and to wait for his kids.  This was my father no complaints, no enemies.  Only the best he could see in anyone he meets along life’s way.

 

Many happy memories between the beginning and the end of my father’s life, his outlook never changed and he lived without regret.  As we were gathered around his bed last Monday night into early Tuesday morning we were reminiscing.  Sweet memories and occasions were joyfully exchanged among us kids. As we held hands and prayed Dad left us to be with mother and our heavenly father.

 

I will always remember and love my father. Johnny

 

Father-in-Law (Carol)

 

As I entered into the family 14 years ago, I knew it was a special place to be.  The love for our heavenly father and family couldn’t have been greater.  The more I got to know them and other family members I knew I had made the right decision.

 

My father and mother-in-law set such a sweet example for their family.  I will always hold dearly a special place in my heart for both of them.

 

The many times we were together as a family, whether special occasion or not, will bring happy memories to me.  Dad always asking if we were ready for that cup of coffee to set at the table and visit; usually with a piece of pound cake or cookie.

 

Looking at which day lily was in full bloom was another enjoyable thing I liked to do.  Usually fresh flowers can always be seen on the table.

 

I always enjoyed hearing the tales of past experiences.  Such as the time John, Andy, Frank and Mike Fleming tried to catch the calf, with the girls on the sideline rooting for the calf while laughing.  That was probably a Kodak moment!  Or the one about the hotdog in Dad’s face…..

 

Barbara and Susie have a special place in my heart as sisters-in-law.  Barbara taking the time out of her life to care for both Mom and Dad can never be re-paid here on Earth. Thank You Barbara.

 

I, with the rest of the family will miss Dad.

 

With loving memories, Carol.

 

All I Really Need To Know I Learned from my Dad

by Andy Howard

The majority of what is important to understand about how to live and what to do and how to be, I learned from my dad.


 

Wisdom was not at the top of some Ivory tower,
 But there in the sand and palmettos of North Florida.



 

These are the things I learned:


 

How to be a good husband

How to fish for bream and bass

How to hunt for quail

How to be a southern gentleman

How to work hard for an honest days pay

How to love your family

How to live Christ-like

How to be strong when the odds are against you

How to be a father

How to garden and enjoy the beauty of God’s creation

How to live a full life

Return the tools to where you found them

Take care of the gifts you are given

Smile a lot

Laugh at every opportunity you have

Enjoy being with family

Keep your family close to you

Take care of your parents

Help everyone you can, you don’t know when you will need help

Dessert is good for you

Take a nap before the day ends

Keep up with the news; only believe 25% of what you hear

Always speak well of people

Look for the good in everyone

Work hard but know when to relax

 

If you have to go out into the world, Be careful, watch-out for others, share, only do things you will be proud of, enjoy the newness of where you are, but never forget where you came from.

 

 

 

Grandpa as I knew him: (Julie)

 

As a child, the main thing I remember about Grandpa is that he always let me follow him around whether it be in the fields, on the tractor or in the truck with him.  He taught me how to fish and he taught me how to snap beans (although sometimes I got messed up and tried to shell them like peas).  When I think of him, I see him in my mind's eye sitting at the end of the table with a cup of coffee telling us to come in and get something to eat.

 

As an adult, the main thing I remember of him is one night in particular when I had just gotten back from living in England.  It was late at night, for him, and everyone had gone home.  He went in to his room and came back with a box of things.  He called me over and started showing me his box of treasures, items from when he was stationed in England during WWII.  I remember Andy hanging out in the background trying to listen in.  Later I had learned these were stories Andy had never heard before.  Now he was not only my grandpa but he was my friend - we now had something together that no one else had.

 

He was a great man in life, he was a hard worker by trade, but mostly he was just my grandpa that loved me unconditionally.

 

Marilyn:

When I first met daddy – that’s how I always referred to him - I was touched by his genuine open acceptance, his clear blue eyes that opened to his soul, the wonderfully loving smile that invited me back, I knew instantly where his son learned to love without stipulations.  His full wet eyes as we left from the first visit also showed me where his son learned that a real man is not afraid to let his emotions show.

 

Over the near 27 years, I watched my wonderful father-in-law serve his family every day without complaint of the obvious aches and pains he silently suffered with.  He was always out in the field hoeing or attending to the needs of his vegetable and flower gardens early in the morning, stop short for lunch and back at it until the sun was setting.  He was hoeing, gathering, watering, cross-pollinating or preparing his harvest – never idle.  Shelling peas, pickling pears, whatever was needed.

 

His work for the family did not stop in the field.  He always did the laundry, washed the dishes and vacuumed.  The man I knew was not afraid of work, he was not afraid of love.

 

A phrase from the popular song, Everyone is Free (to wear Sunscreen) by Baz Luhrman

 

Get to know your parents, you never know when they’ll be gone for

good. Be nice to your siblings; they are the best link to your past and the

people most likely to stick with you in the future. Understand that friends come and go, but for the precious few you should hold on.

 

 

John “HOP” Howard left a Legacy of Life, love and laughter.

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strange Feeling

Introduction